Clear all

WACS and DCS (Door43)

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mondele)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

This should probably be a WACS topic, with DCS under a different one, but we're in transition right now.

Rick said there was an original email from Craig Oliver about this. I don't seem to have that one, but I do have an email from Christine Jarka.

Hello Mark and John,
Here is documentation on how to set the WACS server up in tStudio Android. I’m thinking that this will become a popular question.
https://github.com/unfoldingWord-dev/translationStudio-Info/blob/master/docs/tSettings.rst#server-settings

As you can see, we don't have a lot of options right now. Below is an example communication I sent when asked about this issue. Please keep the help desk informed, and we've also been asked to keep Craig Oliver informed about communications on this topic.

I'm glad you reached out to the Help Desk on this. This is a transitional time, and that makes it difficult to choose "best" for everyone. I suspect "best" will mean different things in different situations.

1) Right now, we don't have a way to upload to WACS except a) directly, or b) from translationStudio Android. There is not a way to configure translationStudio Desktop to use WACS at this time. Similarly, Autographa will need an update before we can upload directly to WACS.
2) Many people don't have accounts on WACS. The login used for DCS (Door43) won't work for WACS, as it is a completely different infrastructure.

Given the above considerations, if you are not using Android tablets, or if your tech support people are not comfortable with direct uploads to WACS (or don't have accounts, yet), you should probably wait on switching. If you primarily use Android tablets and/or your tech support people are skilled at working on the margins of the technology, switching now will lighten the load when we make a more concerted conversion to using WACS. On the other hand, if you are working in a sensitive country, you may want to weigh the danger posed by connecting to a server called bibletranslationtools.com. Use of a VPN, or other security measures might be in order in that case.

In reply to your other questions: yes, OBS can be uploaded to WACS in the same way that Bible translation projects can be. It's not a complete orientation document, but instructions on how to reconfigure translationStudio Android to use WACS are here: https://github.com/unfoldingWord-dev/translationStudio-Info/blob/master/docs/tSettings.rst#server-settings

Accounts can be created by connecting to https://content.bibletranslationtools.org and clicking on Register. It would be a good idea to use a different password than is used for DCS (Door43).

At this time, Tech Advance has not been given a comprehensive orientation on WACS (as far as I am aware). The WACS site does have a help email: [email protected]. I would appreciate being kept in the loop on any communication in that direction, so that I can better support everyone during this transition.
More conversation encouraged below!

(@mondele)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I just heard from Craig Oliver that the latest version of Autographa supports WACS natively.

ReplyQuote
(@mondele)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Apparently, this is in the Autographa Live product, which is not stable or mature.

ReplyQuote
(@vraistin)

John i have  always a little difficulty to make the upload in WACS especially to put the backups

ReplyQuote
(@mondele)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@faustin

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Are you uploading to WACS or Door43? What are your user names in WACS and Door43? Are you uploading from Android? Maybe we should do this in a Help Desk ticket? Maybe you can wait until you get to Kinshasa?

ReplyQuote
Share: